Come and get messy with the healing elements of mother nature and explore the ancient art of using botanicals and food waste to create beautiful colours and patterns on natural fibres. A multi-sensory experience that will enable you to slow-down, get earthy and create mindfully.
Using the wonderful technique of bundle dyeing, we will use sustainably sourced and foraged materials to create a unique habitai silk scarf and a Furoshiki cotton square. Furoshiki is a traditional Japanese method of gift wrapping that is not only beautiful but can be re-used and passed on from friend to friend, avoiding disposable materials and reducing environmental impact.
Whilst our bundles steam and evolve, we will play with the magic of alchemy by introducing natural modifiers to create a rainbow of possibilities on paper.
Abi Fincham is a stylist, designer and earthy magic maker that works across fashion, textiles and crafts. She is passionate about providing memorable experiences through creating beautiful and engaging environments to learn and play. Yeh to team sustainability!!
Abi will guide you through…
- Suitable botanicals and foods and the colours they yield
- Natural fibres and fabric preparation with mordants
- Natural pH modifiers
- The art of bundle dyeing through wrapping and steaming
This workshop is the perfect introduction to natural dyeing, producing eco-friendly textiles and adding colour to your wardrobe in a mindful and sustainable way. The bundle dyeing technique is an efficient and simple way to revitalise existing garments and create beautifully patterned fabric.
- A habutai silk scarf 900mm x 900mm square
- A cotton Furoshiki 30cm x 30cm square
- A beautiful selection of dried, fresh and frozen flowers, leaves and other botanicals
- Food waste (eg. Onion skins, berries, spices, herbs)
- Colour pH modifiers
- Watercolour paper and materials for alchemy play
In preparation… you can bring
- Any botanicals from your garden, wilting cut flowers or food waste that you would like to experiment with.
- There will be extra scarves to purchase on the day if you would like to experiment further.
- Please wear clothes that you don’t mind getting messy in!
1059 GOLD COAST HWY
PALM BEACH ( NEXT DOOR TO SPIKEXX ESPRESSO)
9AM - 1PM
$155 per person
ALL MATERIALS SUPPLIED